Location: Boji in Tana River, Chakama in Kilifi, Challa in Taita Taveta, Vanga in Kwale, Bura in Garissa Counties
Goal: Enhance food security by improving access to irrigated agriculture, livestock, and domestic water supply.
Project Components: Irrigation, Capacity Building
• Over 1200 acres of land under irrigation in Kilifi, Kwale, Taita Taveta, Tana River, & Garissa Counties.
• Solar-powered borehole completed and water supply for domestic and irrigation in use.
• Food and nutrition security improved.
• Increased per capita income for farmers.
• Linking farmers to markets.
• Implementation ongoing in all the project sites.
• Implementation Level: Boji 90%, Chakama 60%, Challa 70%, Vanga 10%.
The Boji Smallholder Farmers’ Irrigation Project implemented by Coast Development Authority (CDA) is located in Kinakomba location in Tana-River County. A smallholder farmers’ group established the irrigation scheme in 2004 with an aim of utilizing the waters of Tana River for food production, due to the persistent challenges of food insecurity and poverty in Boji Village.
Currently the Authority is establishing an irrigation infrastructure to facilitate production of high value crops such as tomatoes, onions, watermelons, green grams, coriander, okra, garlic, amaranths and so on. The scheme has a total acreage of approximately 400 acres. The project will support 88 households directly and over 500 persons indirectly through employment, increased household income and access to food. The project will make it possible to grow cash crops which give good returns and improve the yields of crops to the farmers.
CDA Managing Director Dr. Mohammed Keinan, said the Authority will be at the forefront in supporting projects that aim to improve the socio-economic welfare of people living within the region.
The project aims at enhancing crop production through the use of sustainable farming technologies for the attainment of food security, increased income and wealth creation in Boji sub-location of Kinakomba location in Tana River County. The objective of the project is to develop a pilot area of 136 acres into a productive irrigated farm and capacity building of farmers on Good Agricultural Practices (GAPs) and marketing.
CDA is implementing the project in close collaboration with the County Government of Tana River through the Ministry of Agriculture. The project will train farmers on crop production, business management, conflict resolution, environmental management and gender mainstreaming which will enhance farmers’ knowledge thereby increasing their capacity to carry on with production beyond the project period.
CDA intends to:
Develop a 125-acre pilot irrigated farm. This entails the following activities:
- Reinforcement of the river bank protection and wiring of the pump-house.
- Procurement, installation and commissioning of two pumps.
- Establishment and rehabilitation of water supply and distribution network from the river to the farm.
- Initial input supply and cultivation of the 136 acres farm.
Establish a 11 acres demonstration farm
- Construction of store and offices.
- cultivation for 10acres demo plot.
- Installation of irrigation systems (irrigation kits, booster pumps and water tanks).
Train farmers in good agricultural practices and marketing
- Develop a farmers’ training manual.
- Conduct trainings on GAPs and marketing.
- Bench marking and exchange visits with other successful irrigation schemes.
Formation of an Irrigation Water User Association (IWUA)
- Mobilization and sensitization of famers, capacity building on IWUA.
- Development of IWUA management plan.