Funding : GoK and World Bank through the Ministry of Water, Sanitation & Irrigation
Location: Kwale County
Goal: To reduce siltation and prolong the economic lifespan of the proposed Mwache reservoir through sustainable catchment restoration interventions
- Support Dam construction
- Catchment management
- Capacity building
- Establishment of Water Resource User Associations (WRUAs) – 24 No.
- Capacity building of WRUAs – 17 No.
- Development of Sub-catchment management plans (SCMPs) – 17No.
- Development, dissemination and enforcement Kwale County Quarrying Act 2016 and Regulations 2017
- Water quality monitoring
- Development and implementation of Mwache Catchment Management Plan
- Afforestation/reforestation – 380,000 trees (378.1ha)
- Marking and pegging of riparian areas – 314.84ha
- Planting of vetiver grass for soil stabilization
- Trainings on dryland farming technologies, establishment and management of woodlots, gender mainstreaming
- Construction of Gabions – 136 gabions
- Terracing and Contour plowing – 446.55ha
- Mwache catchment management campaign & information dissemination.
- Current Status: Implementation ongoing (Dam construction by the ministry of water and catchment management by CDA)
- Implementation Level: 40%